And so, it has come to pass that we find ourselves in "awards season", wherein fond looks are taken back at the prior year in media, and trophies are doled out for various forms of perceived excellence in movies, television, and music. Much attention is showered upon the festivities and celebrities involved, and much ado is paid to the recipients of said awards. That noted, the Grammys last weekend made one thing glaringly clear - beyond his inability to competently carry a tune or strum a guitar, Justin Bieber cannot grow an award-winning beard.
Now, it is time to give awards to those who can.
HoNoToGroABeMo 2010 was the largest yet, both in terms of total donations and number of participants. Pete DiLillo and his lush man-thicket ended up dominating the donation race, earning him the title of current, reigning, and defending Champion of HoNoToGroABeMo. Witness his half-shorn shock:
Bob's recap sums up the experience, and as a participant, I will add my own effusive thanks to all who donated. Their generosity for our boob-buffoonery was amazing.
All that said, it is time to bestow The Cmar Beard Awards for HoNoToGroABeMo 2010. These have nothing to do with any donations received, and everything to do with the glorious pictography of crackling virility hedges:
- Best Beard Photo: There were many entries during the month that stood out for creativity, humor, or photographic skill, but the trophy for best beardy picture goes to Jim Van Verth for Day 14: Abra-abra-cadabra. The facial contorting, posing, and expression convey that he's not only gonna getcha, but he's gonna getcha in a way you may never recover from. This is Mr. Van Verth's second year in a row winning this category, so step it up, gents.
- Man Most Exemplifying How Not To Grow A Beard: One might think that this would be the closest category to judge, but that turns out not to be the case. Even though he allowed his neck beard to stay strong this time around, for the second year in a row, Jeff Greiner takes the prize. C'mon gents, step it down and give him some competition.
- Best Time Lapse Photo Series: All participants were varied in their choice of poses on a daily basis, but only one of us had enough consistency of follicular posture and backdrop to take this category. Jason Penney, that would be you! (Click through to view the slideshow.)
- Man Most Exemplifying How To Grow A Beard: As noted above, the ability of many of us to generate a thick face mane is somewhat surprising. While several of us were in the running, Adam Johnson gets the award by sprouting a 30 day untamed jaw jungle, even after some judicious trimming.
- Best Use Of Non-Facially Generated Props: Our overall champion, Pete, also is the obvious winner in this category, both for framing his beard on a daily basis with an endless supply of amazing headgear (click through for the slideshow), and for this epic hat-gasm on the final day:
- Daily Commitment To The Task: November is a busy month, and few find the time and the stamina to start on Day 1 and produce a post for all 30 days. Our founder, Bob, led the pack in this regard as he does each year, and finds himself co-accepting this award with Jeff, Pete, Jim, and Jeffery for 2010.
- Best-Spun Beardy Yarns: Everyone strove to lay down some manner of words each day with their posts, and a few of us were able to tell some good tales. However, as clearly as he showed us how not to grow a beard, Jeff Greiner blew us all away with his sincere and excellent beardy yarns each day. With topics ranging from gaming to education, they are well worth your time to read.
Congratulations to all of the winners! To all the participants, it was a pleasure joining you once again in this endeavor, and to give recognition where recognition is due. To everyone else, Ill merely note that only 257 days remain until HoNoToGroABeMo 2011, and this whole mad affair will start up again.
Well I just got back from my second test ride with the snomobile after rebuilding this and that on it. Needs some minor adjustments.
As for the beard, it seems to be coming along nicely. The only thing that I've done has been shaving the lower neck.
And so it grows, maybe until spring.
I was planning on shaving down the cheeks on the 31st but had 0 time. So I figured I'd do it on the 1st but had 0 time. After that, I had some time constraints.
But here it is, the final product of 2 (and change) months of growth, then trimmed down to something moderately respectable.
See you all next year! Or this year, I guess, but much later this year. So as to almost be next year.
After much delay I have posted the pictures of my prize. The one-of-a-kind Beards 4 Boobs 2010 winner T-shirt. I wasn't able to get all the angles (the HoNoToGroABeMo.org and Beards4Boobs URL are on the back), but you get the picture. Enjoy and thanks again for allowing me to participate, it was a blast.